Senior year is the culmination of a student's Prep career and is expected to be a time of exemplary leadership and academic performance for all seniors. Seniors should work closely with teachers to leave their mark on Saint Peter's Prep, and closely with the college counselors to plan for the future. Senior year concludes with a number of important events leading up to graduation. Details are outlined below.
Senior News Photos – March 13, 20, 21
Each year, as graduation approaches, Prep takes several opportunities to celebrate the senior class as they transition from Prep students to Prep alumni, joining generations of men in every walk of life and many corners of the world who trace their roots back through Grand & Warren. One way we celebrate our seniors is by sharing their photos and accomplishments with local news outlets in their own communities.
On March 13, 20 and 21, we will be taking pictures for graduation publicity. In general, students from towns with four or more seniors will be photographed. For towns with fewer than four seniors, we will use yearbook photos. However, since many local newspapers cover several adjacent towns, some towns with fewer than four seniors will be included with their neighboring towns.
Please take a moment to review the list below. Students should meet in the courtyard outside the Humanities Building at the times specified below. In case of rain, students should meet in the Humanities Building lobby. In fairness to the students who do make themselves available for photos at the specified times, no make-up photos will be scheduled if students miss their group photos. Therefore your cooperation in arriving promptly is greatly appreciated!
- Wednesday, March 13, Community Period (10:35-11:25am): Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken, Caldwell, North Caldwell, Roseland, West Caldwell, Verona, Maplewood, South Orange.
- Wednesday, March 20, Community Period (10:55-11:40am): Belleville, Bloomfield, Clifton, Cliffside Park, Dumont, Elmwood Park, Fairlawn, Fort Lee, Garfield, Hasbrouck Heights, Kearny, Little Ferry, Lyndhurst, New Milford, North Arlington, Northvale, Nutley, Palisades Park, Ridgefield, Ridgewood, Rutherford, Wayne, Wood-Ridge.
- Thursday, March 21, Community Period (10:55 - 11:40am): Berkeley Heights, Clark, Cranford, Elizabeth, Fanwood, New Providence, Plainfield, Rahway, Roselle Park, Union, Westfield.
For a detailed breakdown of the various groups, please click here.
This information will also be emailed to senior parents, as well as posted on Prep's general and Student Life pages on Facebook and Twitter, and in the daily announcements.
For further information, please contact Trish Fitzpatrick, P'07,'16 at 201-547-6497 or FitzpatrickT@spprep.org
Important forms and other information:
Letter emailed to all parents on January 25, 2013, with information about Graduation. Click here to download.
- Dress for Graduation: The proper dress for graduation is a white (not bone, cream, etc.) jacket (no tails), white shirt, black trousers, black shoes and black bow tie. Each senior will be given a boutonniere upon his arrival for the graduation ceremonies
- Graduation tickets and invitations will be available in the Principal's Office in May. Based on the seating capacity, each graduate will be given six tickets to graduation. Two of these tickets are for the parents’ section. The other four are for other family members and friends. If families will not use all six tickets, they should be returned to the Principal's Office.
Those in need of more than six tickets for family members should see the Vice Principal. Prep will make every attempt to make available extra tickets, but no one will be admitted to the graduation exercises without a ticket. Graduation seating is arranged to insure that the graduation exercises occur in an orderly and dignified manner. All seating will be on the floor. Ushers will help guide people to their seats and provide a comfortable atmosphere so all can see and hear the exercises.
- It is Prep's expectation that any videotaping or photography done by members of the Prep community during the graduation exercises will be done from their seats. Faculty members and administrators will be asked to remain in the auditorium for a few minutes after graduation to enable all to take the pictures and videotapes that they would like.
- Order form to order a DVD of the Graduation ceremony click here
To order a tuxedo for the prom or Graduation, please consider one of the following shops:
- Tuxedos by Rose - 7727 Bergenline Avenue, North Bergen, NJ (201)869-4010.
- The Tux Shop: Bayonne - (201-436-5210) or Hoboken - (201-963-6920); www.thetuxshopnj.com
Important Dates to Note:
- Senior Newspaper Photos take place in March. Students will be photographed in groups based on their place of residence. The schedule of these photos will be relaesed in early March.
- Senior-Faculty Dinner takes place on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 6 pm in O'Keefe Commons.
- A.P. Exams take place May 6 - 17, 2013. All students enrolled in A.P. classes are required to sit for the respective exams. Dates for specific subjects are posted on the Prep calendar at www.spprep.org/calendar
- Final Exams take place Monday, June 3, through Friday, June 7, 2013. Any questions about exams should be directed to Ms. Mary Durante, Vice Principal for Academics.
- Senior Prom takes place on Tuesday, June 11, at Maritime Parc in Jersey City, NJ. Any questions about the senior prom should be directed to Ms. Liz Walsh in the Advancement Office.
- Senior Exit Day activities will take place on Thursday, June 13, 2013, from 8:30am to 2:30pm. Exact details and events to be scheduled. Rehearsal for Graduation will take place on this day only. All seniors are expected to be in attendance the entire time. Absence from any portion of this day may result in a senior not being allowed to participate in the Graduation ceremony.
- Baccalaureate Mass takes place on Friday, June 14, at 7:00pm at St. Aedan's Church, 800 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306.
- Graduation Ceremony takes place on Saturday, June 15, at 11:00am in the Yanitelli Center at Saint Peter's University. All graduates should gather on the lower level of the Yanitelli Center no later than 10:00am to begin final preparations for the ceremony.
- Please note: In order to receive his Prep diploma, each senior must successfully complete all his courses. In general, students failing three or more subjects, or who are under suspension for disciplinary reasons, are not allowed to participate in Prep's graduation exercises. Other circumstances may also warrant a student being denied the privilege of participating in the Graduation ceremony. The final decision rests with the principal.
- A list of semester failures for seniors will be available in the Principal's Office after 12:00 Noon on the Friday before graduation. Students in danger of failing should check this list.
- Beginning in school 2011-2012, as was announced at senior orientation, any seniors who fail a course for the year may not remediate the failing grade in Prep summer school. It is the obligation of the student to find an appropriate summer school class, have it approved by the school and submit to Prep an offical document displaying a passing grade at the end of the program to remove the failing grade from the transcript.
- All obligations--financial and otherwise--to Prep must be met before Graduation. This includes the return of library books, athletic equipment, and other things borrowed from Saint Peter's Prep.
- Parents and Guardians should contact the Finance Office if there are any outstanding financial obligations to make appropriate and reasonable arrangements.